Welcome to your creative future
The Department of Journalism welcomes you to explore our program to find a career you love. We offer a dynamic, hands-on learning environment for majors and minors in advertising, multimedia journalism and public relations. We value the First Amendment, core journalism principles, writing and visual communication skills, creativity, professionalism and ethics. See what we may offer you toward your creative future:
- Accreditation through the national Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications that ensures the quality of our program and faculty.
- First public relations major in UW System, a program nationally Certified for Education in Public Relations through the Public Relations Society of America.
- Smaller classes in three computer labs and a digital photo studio to help advance digital media skills for news-oriented, public relations or advertising courses.
- Individual student advising meetings each semester with faculty to register for classes and discuss courses, degree options, internships and career plans.
- Core courses in writing, visual and multimedia, paired with advanced courses in degree programs and opportunity for professional experiences through clubs, national competitions and in-class projects for local organizations.
Check out our “one-sheet wonder” info sheet to get a helpful overview of the department.
Take a tour of the journalism department and explore career paths.
Job opportunities in the journalism field
- UW Oshkosh offers multiple internships on campus. The journalism program helps students find internships with a number of creative agencies, news organizations, sports programs and corporations in the Fox Valley, as well as nationally.
- About 87% of recent journalism graduates have had one or more internships prior to graduation.
- Hands-on experiences through courses and internships contribute to an employment rate of 88% for recent graduates.
- Multiple job opportunities are available for journalism graduates in media organizations, advertising and public relations agencies, corporations and nonprofit organizations, evident in the successes of our alumni.
of our recent journalism grads have jobs in the field
of our students have one or more internships before graduation