The UW Oshkosh Department of Journalism’s strategic plan was approved May 2020.
Vision, Mission and Core Values — May 2020
VISION: The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Department of Journalism will be known as a top-tier mass communication department among midsize, public universities in the Midwest for successfully preparing students seeking media-related careers. We will do this through program innovations, campus collaborations and industry connections.
MISSION: The department will graduate students who, having received a comprehensive liberal arts education, are intellectually curious; possess skills to compete in the global marketplace; recognize the importance of diversity and inclusivity; and are able to react and adapt to changes in the industry while maintaining the highest ethical standards of fairness, truth and accuracy.
• A dynamic and inclusive departmental environment that encourages a quality educational culture, professional achievement and an inclusive community for people from all walks of life
• Professional ethical principles and behaviors that reflect transparency, fairness, truth, accuracy and diversity.
• A quality classroom experience with hands-on, interpersonal teaching and personal investment in students that will allow our graduates to compete for careers in the global marketplace through an open-minded, critical thinking approach.
• Effective communication through multiple media in the written, visual and oral realms using current tools and technology.
• Idealistic and practical endeavors that help influence the lives of people beyond the classroom, serve the broader community and better society through research-based solutions.