Barb Benish, MBA
Internship Coordinator & Instructor
Office: Sage 3609
Internships are essential learning and professional experiences to help students gain knowledge in the field, discover their interests and build a resume and portfolio to get a job. Barb Benish, the department’s internship coordinator, works with students to find internships. The J427 Professional Journalism Internship course also is an option for academic credit. About 87% of students in our program have one or more internships before graduation. We believe this internship rate contributes to our 88% job placement rate in the field for new grads. Check out these internship openings and reach out to Barb Benish with any questions.
Job, Fellowship & Networking Opportunities
Oshkosh Herald seeks full-time general assignment reporter - Apply by Dec. 16
The Oshkosh Herald, which circulates local news and sports to 29,750 homes and businesses in the greater Oshkosh area, is looking for a full-time journalist with reporting and writing experience for news, features and business stories.
Oshkosh Herald covers local government, business, sports and community news in a print-centric model. Our writers provide content, not clicks.
The successful candidate will have the ability to analyze and interpret news events, have knowledge of AP style, organizational and time-management skills, experience using photo and digital tools (Adobe, Microsoft Office), along with some level of copyediting, proofreading and production skills. Send a resume and writing examples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: December 16, 2020
FASPE Summer Ethics Fellowship in Journalism for May 2015-May 2020 graduates
Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics in Journalism has a fully-funded two-week summer program that uses the conduct of journalists in Nazi Germany as a launching point for an intensive study of contemporary journalism ethics. FASPE Journalism is predicated upon the power of place. Fellows visit Auschwitz and other sites in Germany and Poland where they consider how to apply the lessons of history to journalism’s ethical challenges.
Apply by Jan. 6, 2021.
Forum Communications Company
Forum Communications Company has a variety of jobs available in a variety of fields.
To see their job openings, go to https://www.jobshq.com/employer/3471/forum-communications-company/?TrackID=36
Internships and Fellowships
UW Oshkosh’s Career and Professional Development is available to help you in your internships or job search. Check the online resources, classes, Handshake and more.
YardBarker Sports News Editor Internship
Sports News Editor Internship
Yardbarker is a sports news service committed to delivering breaking NFL news, MLB news, NBA news, and NHL news. We write, aggregate and syndicate hundreds of articles, galleries and sports quizzes daily. And, we produce the most informative and customizable sports newsletter in the industry, The Morning Bark. To find out more, click here: https://www.yardbarker.com/jobs/internships
Science Web Magazine Writer (Freelance)
My name is Andrew Neff, I work with a science web-magazine, and I’d like to advertise a paid writing opportunity to your students. We can’t quite manage a full paid internship, but are interested in paying your students to contribute individual pieces ($250 for 500-800 words). Feel free to take a look at our organization’s website (https://www.golgiproductions.com/), and reach out to me at any time should you have any questions.
Ongoing. Seeking journalism fellows and interns who have a sincere passion for news, politics, civil rights and government accountability. Successful applicants should be quick learners, organized and able to work efficiently under fast-paced editorial deadlines. Work closely with editorial staff copy-editing, researching and writing. Learn more
Reeve Union seeks digital marketing specialist for Spring 2021 - Apply by Dec. 31
Reeve Union is seeking a digital marketing specialist for the Spring 2021 semester. Learn more.
Apply by Dec. 31, 2020 on Handshake.
Reeve Union seeks marketing team coordinator for Spring 2021 - Apply by Dec. 31, 2020
Reeve Union is seeking a marketing team coordinator for the Spring 2021 semester. Learn more.
Apply by Dec. 31, 2020 on Handshake.
Advertising & Public Relations Opportunities
The Advance-Titan seeks Advertising Manager for Spring 2021 - Apply by Jan. 15
The Advance-Titan is seeking an advertising manager for Spring 2021. Duties include:
- Contacting businesses to see if they have an interest in advertising
- Negotiating contracts
- Updating current advertiser list and updating weekly ad call log
- Answering questions via email, phone or face to face
- Working to try and create promotions/coupons with clients to try and increase their ROI
- Creating a minimum of five spec ads to present to potential advertisers
- Attending weekly staff meetings to learn about planned coverage and discuss advertising opportunities
- Networking with community organizations and companies
This is a paid position of $10 an hour, 8 hours a week.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Barbara A Benish, Advance-Titan adviser, at email@example.com by Jan. 15.
NEW VOICES - Apply by Jan. 10, 2021
New Voices Intern Sought
(late January-mid May 2021)
What is New Voices of Wisconsin?
New Voices of Wisconsin aims to protect the voices of student journalists and their right to share information fearlessly.
New Voices of Wisconsin is a campaign to guarantee meaningful press freedom for student journalists in public schools. The movement is inspired by the John Wall New Voices Act, which passed the North Dakota legislature in 2015 without a dissenting vote and became law June 1, 2015.
To learn more about New Voices, go to https://www.facebook.com/newvoiceswisconsin/.
- Find and interview students, former students, and teachers who have been censored to get their stories and contact information. (We will provide a starter list with contact information that might be out of date.)
- Update our New Voices website with their stories. (Work with Student Press Law Center to make this happen.)
- Help create a survey for all Wisconsin advisers about censorship in their schools. (Work with me and several other advisers to do this.)
- Organize virtual events where teachers and students can share their stories with one or more Wisconsin legislators. (KEMPA and NEWSPA board members can help.)
- Develop a general education campaign around student press censorship. (A lot of times students and advisers don’t even realize they’ve been censored, because they don’t know what their rights were in the first place.)
- Research Wisconsin lobbying laws to make sure that organizing the conversations with legislators doesn’t trigger any lobbyist registration requirements. (Sometimes these laws capture grassroots lobbying, so we just want to make sure we’re aware of where the lines are.)
Hours and pay
- 10 hours a week, all remote, with weekly check-in call to supervisor
- Unpaid, but it can be taken for credit.
Send a cover letter and resume by Jan. 10, 2021 to:
Linda Barrington at firstname.lastname@example.org
Constituent Services Fellowship -- Office of Governor Evers
Spring 2021 Fellows – Office of Governor Evers, Department of Constituent Services
We are looking for energetic, responsible, and passionate individuals to join our office fellowship for the spring semester. In this position, you will be an integral part of our constituent services department. It is essential that applicants to this position have strong communication skills, demonstrate maturity and responsibility, and understand the importance of attention to detail. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION HERE.
Cato Institute, Washington D.C. - Offer spring, fall and summer internships
Students and early-career professionals play an instrumental role in helping the Cato
Institute advance libertarian principles. Cato hosts interns for three semester-long
sessions each year—spring, summer, and fall. Assigned to specific departments based
on their interests and backgrounds, interns are able to work one-on-one with scholars
and staff on research and communication of that research. Interns also participate in an
intensive seminar series in which they learn about public policy, economics, history, and
political philosophy. Additional seminars cover professional development topics, such as
public speaking and interviewing skills.
Communications interns work in media relations, external affairs, and video production.
Interns also assist with events and occasionally help Cato staff with other day-to-day
Learn more at www.cato.org
Graphic Design and Photography
Oceans Campus, Mossel Bay, South Africa
Oceans Campus is offering an opportunity for undergraduate students of all levels to become a member of the Africa Media programs in Mossel Bay, South Africa. Africa Media is an environmental based media company specializing in the production of photographic, video and editorial media from the African continent. Four programs are offered specializing in wildlife film-making, wildlife and adventure photography, underwater photography and environmental travel writing. Learn more.
Advance-Titan newspaper seeks Distribution Manager for Spring 2021
The Advance-Titan is the independent college newspaper for all UW Oshkosh campuses. The paper seeks a Distribution Driver for Spring 2021.
- Meet Christensen’s Printing delivery about 7:30 a.m. each Thursday (12 Thursdays out of the semester) to pick up that week’s paper (at a location to be determined)
- Distribute paper to 25 stands on the UW Oshkosh campus, as well as to 10 Oshkosh area businesses, plus the Fond du Lac and Fox Cities campuses
- Pick up old copies of the paper and discard properly
- Track number of issues picked up at each site, so distribution can be tweaked as necessary
- Contact Adviser Barb Benish with questions and concerns
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record so you are able to drive a university vehicle
- Dependable and professional when acting as an Advance-Titan representative in the community
- Students from any UW Oshkosh campus or any major may apply
- Willing and able to work Thursday mornings 12 x a semester (About five hours a week)
Spring 2021 delivery schedule:
- 11, 18 and 25
- March 4, 11 and 18
- April 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29
- May 6
Pay: $9 an hour
Send your resume and cover letter outlining your experience to: Barbara Benish, Advance-Titan adviser, email@example.com. Deadline to apply is Jan. 8, 2021.
Disney College Program
Participate in the Disney College Program and get your foot in the door to potentially become a Disney Professional Intern. Learn more
Internships in other areas:
Internships in the Madison area can be obtained by visiting our sister site at the University of Wisconsin Madison.
Internships in the Minneapolis area can be obtained by visiting the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities website.
Diversity in Advertising and Public Relations Internships
Newspaper Internship Directory (Updated annually)
National Internships & Fellowships
- APSA-MCI Communications Congressional Fellowships
- Internship Nepal — Journalism Internship and Photojournalism Internship
- Dow Jones Internships
- American Society of Magazine Editors Internship Program
- Association for Women in Sports Media
- Boston University International Programs
- Boston Globe Summer Intern Program
- Journalism Jobs
- Editor and Publisher Magazine
- UC Berkeley Job List
- American Society of Newspaper Editors