The journalism department’s advising program is intended to help you advance toward your degree in a timely, orderly fashion. Advising is mandatory in the Journalism Department and is the only way that you can register for most journalism classes each semester.
The advising program gives students an opportunity to meet with journalism faculty members one-on-one to learn about the department, courses and their prerequisites, internship opportunities and clubs. These meetings are also a chance to discuss your academic and career goals.
- All majors and minors in the department will receive email notifications about advising dates for the upcoming semester.
- The email will inform students when they may sign up for a 15-minute session during advising dates.
- Students may sign up to meet with the adviser listed on their STAR report, or any faculty member in the department.
- Students are advised to prepare for advising appointments:
o Review your curriculum worksheet(s)
o Look through your current course schedule for the semester being planned
o Bring a copy of your STAR report
- See the department’s Advising Procedure for detailed information and guidelines about the advising process.