The UW Oshkosh Public Administration Department, in collaboration with the UW Oshkosh Division of Online and Continuing Education, has been offering an online version of the MPA program since 2017 Spring semester. We were proud to have our first cohort of students graduate from the online MPA program in 2019 spring semester!
The online MPA program is conducted in CANVAS and allows greater flexibility and access for students who cannot come to campus because of life, work, military and/or other commitments. Our MPA students come from anywhere in the state, the country or the world.
The online MPA program offers the same high quality curriculum that is a hallmark of the traditional, face-to-face MPA program. All core courses and most elective courses are taught by full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty members, who embrace a hands-on instructional approach and asynchronous and synchronous communication methods and tools.
- Manageable Credits: 36 (27 Required Credits | 9 Elective Credits)
- Fast Time to Degree Completion: As Few As Two Years (see Sample Plans for Completing the MPA)
- Rigorous Admission: Application Requirements
- Affordability: Tuition and Fees
- Transfer of Credits Possibilities: Department Policies
- Quality Teaching & Community Engagement: Tenured or Tenure-Track Experienced Faculty
- Comprehensive and Career-Oriented Curriculum: The Curriculum Features Four Emphases
- Diverse Semester Offerings: Fall | Spring | Summer
- Solid Planning of Offerings: Courses Offered according to Long-Term Plans
- Strong Partnership in Delivery: COLS PA Department and Division of OCE (for the Online MPA)
- Diverse Student Population: In-career | Pre-Career| Age Group 23-56; Average age 35.1 (Fall 2019) | Veterans | Other
- Diverse Student Geography: State of Wisconsin |Out-of-State (Michigan, Illinois, Colorado, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota, Texas, Connecticut, California, other) | International (Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and Canada)
- Small Class Sizes for Personalized Education and Networking: 20
Application and Fees
Application Process and Requirements
- Prospective students should select the online MPA option when completing the electronic application. You can apply online at apply.wisconsin.edu (please see MPA Admission Requirements).
- International students in the online MPA may take up to three classes (9 credits) in residence on the UW Oshkosh campus as part of the online program plan during their last semester in the program (either fall or spring semesters). They can also participate in the graduation ceremony that last semester. Students must obtain a student visa to take those three classes on campus.
- Diplomas for international students will be sent by mail. Students who wish to participate in person during the graduation ceremony in the United States will be sent an invitation to obtain a tourist visa.
Online Fees and Financial Aid
- The expected tuition for the online MPA program option can be found on the Student Financial Services website under Online and Continuing Education (OCE), MPA Online.
- This tuition amount is the same for in-state, out-of-state, and international students. The Minnesota Reciprocity and Midwest Student Exchange programs do not apply.
- Information about financial aid and other opportunities can be found on this website.