The $500 scholarship was established by the Board of Directors of the Northeastern Wisconsin Scholastic Press Association to recognize the accomplishments and the contributions of a graduating high school journalist. In recent years, the scholarship has been funded by the Wisconsin Newspaper Association.
- Applicants must have met their schools’ academic requirements, and be a graduating senior.
- Applicants must have worked for at least one year on the school newspaper, yearbook or a related student publication.
- Applicants must have attended at least one NEWSPA conference, or be registered to attend the 2020 conference at UWO.
- Applicants must complete an application form that is signed by their journalism adviser.
- Applicants must submit an essay of approximately 500 words explaining why they have chosen journalism as their field of study.
- Applicants who do not meet all of the criteria due to special circumstances can submit a letter of explanation with their application.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student who plans to attend UW Oshkosh or its Fond du Lac or Fox Cities campuses and major or minor in a journalism-related discipline (including but not limited to news-editorial, internet/web design, photography, public relations, magazines, advertising, social media or broadcasting). Preference will be given to students who have taken CAPP courses.
The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who are active in the field of journalism.
- The deadline is April 1.
Return completed application, essay and work samples to:
The NEWSPA Scholarship
Attn. Cindy Schultz
Department of Journalism
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8696
The winner of the $500 scholarship will be announced at the spring conference after the keynote address. The scholarship will be awarded after the winner has successfully completed one semester of college and has declared journalism as his or her major or minor.