The $500 scholarship was established by the Board of Directors of the Northeastern Wisconsin Scholastic Press Association to recognize the accomplishments and the contributions of a graduating high school journalist. In recent years, the scholarship has been funded by the Wisconsin Newspaper Association.
- Applicants must have met their schools’ academic requirements, and be a graduating senior.
- Applicants must have worked for at least one year on the school newspaper, yearbook or a related student publication.
- Applicants must have attended at least one NEWSPA conference, or be registered to attend the 2019 conference at UWO.
- Applicants must complete an application form that is signed by their journalism adviser.
- Applicants must submit an essay of approximately 500 words explaining why they have chosen journalism as their field of study.
- Applicants who do not meet all of the criteria due to special circumstances can submit a letter of explanation with their application.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student who plans to attend UW Oshkosh or its access campuses and major or minor in a journalism-related discipline (including but not limited to news-editorial, internet/web design, photography, public relations, magazines, advertising, social media or broadcasting).
The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who are active in the field of journalism.
- The deadline is April 1.
Return completed application, essay and work samples to:
The NEWSPA Scholarship
Attn. Cindy Schultz
Department of Journalism
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8696
The winner of the $500 scholarship will be announced at the spring conference after the keynote address.