Our climbing wall is free to students and SRWC members during open climbing hours.
If your student group or organization is looking for a unique way to grow as a team, we offer group climbing opportunities. For more information about group climbing or to schedule your event, email the OAC; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Climbing Wall Hours:
The Climbing Wall is Closed for the Summer. We will re-open Monday, September 10 for the Fall.
Monday – Thursday, 6-9pm
Closed during finals week of both semesters
- Closed the 2 weeks preceding our annual WICS Climbing Competition
- Closed for Spring Break
- Closed for Packer games that fall on a Monday or Thursday night
Note: We offer various clinics each week of the semester. Check back in September to see our scheduled clinics, trainings and events!
You must sign a waiver before you will be allowed to use the wall. Your waiver will be kept on file and is valid for one academic year.
The climbing wall staff will belay new or inexperienced climbers on a first come, first served basis.This is designed to let everyone try the wall.
After climbers have come three to five times, we will encourage you to complete the Belay Skills class. Once you have attended the Belay Skill class and completed the Belay Certification Test (see below) you are free to climb any time we are open; you will still be required to check in. Until you have pass the Belay Certification Test, you will be required to have a backup belayer. Climbing shoes are available at no cost.
Climbing 101 - Climbing Basics class
This is our orientation class designed for beginning climbers with no experience, looking to get into the sport of climbing. Our instructors will focus on equipment use and care, climbing commands, spotting, efficient movement and a general introduction to the climbing wall rules. On slower nights our staff may be available to offer the class on a drop-in basis; however there will also be signup for scheduled class times. You can sign up in advance; classes are free and are available on a first come first served basis. Email us at email@example.com to sign up, or just show up!
- Thursday, Sept. 13th @ 6:30pm
- Monday, Sept. 17th @ 7:00pm
- Tuesday, Sept. 18th @ 7:00pm
Belay Skills Class and Certification
This is our orientation class designed for climbers looking to learn more and grow their skills, or those who need to refresh their belay skills. Our instructors will focus on equipment use and care, belaying mechanics, climbing commands, spotting, knots and a general introduction to the climbing wall rules. On slower nights our staff may be available to offer the class on a drop-in basis; however there will also be signups for scheduled class times. You can sign up in advance; classes are free and are available on a first come first served basis. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up!
September Class Sessions:
- Monday, September 10th @ 6:30pm
- Tuesday, September 11th @ 6:30pm
- Wednesday, September 19th @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, September 20th @ 6:00pm
- Thursday, September 27th @ 6:30pm
October Class Sessions:
- Monday, October 1st @ 6:30pm
- Tuesday, October 9 @ 6:30pm
- Wednesday, October 17 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, October 25 @ 6:30pm
The climbing wall is available to students and SRWC members for general bouldering. Before bouldering, all climbers must attend a brief Bouldering Clinic. It is strongly recommended that all boulderers climb with a spotter (who has also taken the Bouldering class). Boulderers should check-in at the OAC Office before bouldering, or in the event the office is closed, check in with the SRWC Front Desk staff.
Current Bouldering Hours
Monday-Friday: 1 – 5 p.m.
Assisted Locking Belay Devices
Assisted Lockers Belay Device Clinic – 45 min.
This clinic covers various types of belay devices and includes the grigri and other assisted locking devices. If you want to begin climbing outdoors, start setting routes or are just looking for something fun to explore, this is a great clinic. For this class, you will need to register. Simply email us at email@example.com or stop by the wall to let us know!
*this is a pre-requisite to our route setting clinic
Current Scheduled Classes:
- Thursday, September 13, 7:00pm
Route Setting Team - Certification
Our wall relies heavily on our route setters to keep changing up routes, keeping our climbing ever-changing, fun and challenging. This clinic runs about 90 minutes, and by the end, participants will learn techniques, skills and philosophies to building awesome routes.
Route setting is a fun and meaningful way to become an even more integral member of our climbing community. A pre-requisite to this course is having tested out on the grigri (assisted locking belay device). Attend our Assisted Lockers clinic to learn the grigri.
- Anyone wishing to use the climbing wall must present a valid Titan ID or guest pass before each climb.
- Before you begin, you must complete a climbing wall orientation class or a skills check and have a valid participation waiver on file before engaging in any bouldering or climbing.
- Solo climbing is NOT permitted and all climbers must be protected by a top rope belay or a sport route belay, unless bouldering.
- Climbers must provide a belayer.
- For bouldering, one spotter is encouraged and the climber’s hands shall not pass above the marked line.
- Climbers are required to use backup belayers, until authorized by the Climbing Wall Manager.
- Climbers are required to use the ropes, carabiners and belay devices provided by the SRWC.
- Climbers must use proper safety equipment when engaged in rope climbing. Harnesses and climbing shoes are available for use at the wall. If a climber uses his/her own harness or shoes, the Climbing Wall Manager must approve it before use.
- While climbing, closed toed shoes (preferably climbing shoes), must be worn. Bare feet are not allowed on the climbing floor surface and climbing shoes may not be worn on any other surface other than the climbing wall area.
- A figure 8 follow-through knot must be tied directly into the climber’s harness.
- A belay device must be attached to the belayer’s harness. Climbers may use their own belay device at the discretion of the Climbing Wall Manager.
- Always check and double-check the climber’s knot, harness and belay system before each climb.
- Proper belaying and climbing commands should be used.
- The use of loose chalk is prohibited; only eco-balls are allowed.
- Anyone wearing jewelry of any kind will be asked to remove it before the start of the climb.
- Only instruction by the Climbing Wall Staff is permitted.