(920) 832-2824
 Aylward Gallery

Aylward Gallery Hours
Monday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–10 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday–Sunday: Closed

Aylward Gallery

Visual Arts Series

The Visual Arts Series, an ongoing program of the Art Department, brings recognized artists to the campus for exhibitions in the Aylward Gallery, public lectures, demonstrations and workshops. These visiting artists offer our students and the community insights into new ideas in contemporary art.

Gallery Hours

Monday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–10 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday–Sunday: Closed

Current Exhibit

Mélange: the work of the ArtSpace Collective

Art Space Collective

Exhibit dates: Sept. 12–Nov. 23, 2022
Artists’ reception: Saturday, Oct. 8, 5-7pm

ArtSpace Collective Artist Biographies

Cristian Andersson is an Appleton, Wisconsin-based painter and performance artist. He first studied painting under Mario Castillo at Columbia College Chicago; then, after a decade-long hiatus from art, he received a B.A. from the University of Wisconsin–Green Bay with a performance-based photography emphasis.

Andersson frequently exhibits his work throughout Wisconsin. His paintings are based on contemporary dance and symphonic pieces, while his performance work emphasizes the complicated relationships between social media and society. In 2020, he co-founded the community arts journal fsm., which transitioned into a non-profit in 2022. Additionally, Andersson facilitates creative programming for people living with memory loss, curates Liminal Space Gallery in Neenah, Wisconsin, is on the board of directors at the Trout Museum of Art in Appleton, Wisconsin, and is the current president of ArtSpace Collective in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He is a constant advocate for the creative class.

Deborah Bartelt: A life-long artist, educator, and advocate of art, best describe me. I believe “art is a way of life” and if I’m not drawing or creating, I feel a void until I get my hands or head into an art project. One thing I have discovered about myself is that I see the world differently than others see the world and that my viewpoint has shaped both my personal and professional life.

Handmade paper and Bookmaking have become an integral part of my more recent works. I love the feel of wet pulp and how it can be shaped. Paper is only the base in the growth of the piece, as I generally incorporate a lot of bright colors, in these works I have been drawn into the involvement of textures in creating the theme. Everyday an action leads to more creativity.

Kathryn Dreifuerst is a Wisconsin painter, potter, art museum employee, arts advocate, and knitter of socks. She is a wife, mother of three grown sons, and a grandmother. In a former life, she was a gallerist (Fond du Lac’s Riverwalk Art Center) and art teacher (Rosendale and Ripon.) After serving on the Board of Directors, she happily began working at the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass in Neenah as the Development and Engagement Manager last year.

In her attic studio on the third floor of a lovely old house, she paints to escape, to express emotions and ideas without words, to create a visual world for others to visit, and to avoid punching people in the throat.

Jim Evans: I’m a photographer. I work exclusively in Black and White photography. I abhor color, digital, and anything that detracts from the photograph as printed. Film is my passion. My heroes are the masters: Stieglitz, Strand, and Caponigro. My early work was very representational, consisting of landscape and documentary studies. The work I’m showing here leans towards abstraction. Photography is the transforming art of the photographer. Minor White.

Pat Filzen is a textile artist whose background as a curator, landscape history, museum director, sheep farmer, and avid gardener greatly influences her art. Inspiration is found while traveling to various spaces around the globe and in her backyard. Filzen uses a variety of mediums and techniques in her pieces. They capture her love of the natural environment and reflect her thoughts about humanity. She draws the viewers into her world using color, texture, space, and sometimes symbolism.

Over the last twenty-plus years, Pat has created several unique art stories through various mediums. Though vast in number, each work tells its own story. Two of her most notable series are “Perc O Ladies” (2001–present) and “Discarded Vignettes” (2017–present). In her coffee pot series, she transforms electric percolators into images of strong women who have influenced her throughout her life. Filzen embeds rich symbolism into the various textile techniques she uses to portray these women’s strengths. The latest series that Pat has been working on is titled “Discarded Vignettes.” Postcards announcing art openings are sometimes too precious to throw away. By reinterpreting and preserving the images through fiber collages, they are no longer discarded.

ArtSpace Collective in downtown Oshkosh will be displaying fifty-two of her miniature artworks during September.

William Greider earned an MFA in printmaking from the University of Arizona in 1988. He has taught in public education for over thirty years and currently teaches at Shiocton High School and the University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh. He is an original member of ArtSpace Collective Gallery, which opened in 1995. Since graduate school, he has made art under various names as a way to separate various styles, media, and subject matter in his work.

The work included in this show represents a series of woodcuts that he began in 2019. Subjects are selected based on his interests in literary, historical, and humanitarian figures. He finds that the close-cropped faces combined with the intricate use of the cute lines and value shapes enhance the character and mood of the individuals presented.

Sue Hazelberg: Personally, and in my art, I have always been drawn to the human figure. I find people to be very interesting. Even though we basically have the same parts, I find inspiration in the diversity of each individual’s unique entity. Each of us carries our own life story, be it in flesh and blood, person, or an image. It could be the look in the eye, a twist of the mouth, or a tilt of the head. Each observer has their own personal interpretation of what they see.

As an artist, I create images that take form before my eyes. I hope to give them a distinctive personality. They live through my imagination, creativity, skill, and love of color. The art comes to life in the interpretation through your eyes.

Renee Koch is a local 3-D artist who’s medium of choice is metal wire. She crochets and weaves the metal strands to create structures differing in sizes, from small wearable pendants to large ten-foot wall sculptures. Varied textures and shapes are achieved through both traditional and unconventional methods. Although the works Renee creates fluctuate from airy and delicate to densely woven and durable, two characteristics that remain consistent are her use of texture and curvilinear lines. Even in the pieces that contain lines and geometric shapes, there are bends and twists that evoke a sense of energy and life within her work.

Renee Koch received a degree in fine arts from UW–Oshkosh in 1999 and has been creating intricate metal works for over twenty years. When she first began crocheting wire, her pieces were less complicated and mainly focused on combining earth-tone-colored wires and precious stones and gems. As of late, her work is much more complex and features a variety of brightly colored wires and different mediums. Another notable expansion in her creative expression can be viewed within her collaborative works with Pat Filzen. Pat is a local textile artist who Renee attributes as being “a catalyst to opening a whole other level of creativity.”

Renee plans to continue pushing herself to expand her techniques and abilities to inspire others with her art.

Mel Kolstad is an artist, speaker, instructor, and arts advocate who makes her home in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. She is a printmaker and collagist, specializing in large series of tiny art.

She is also delighted to be a member of Wisconsin Visual Artists–Northeast Chapter; ArtSpace Collective in Oshkosh; Free Range Art in Grafton; Open Door Artists in Fond du Lac; Wisconsin Craft; and volunteer curator for the Langdon Divers Gallery, located inside the Fond du Lac Public Library. She is honored to have been one of the fifteen TEDx Fond du Lac speakers of the class of ’18, where she gave a talk about her artwork.

Mel has participated in many artist residencies throughout Wisconsin, teaches various classes around the state, and has exhibited in many solo exhibits in the Fox Cities and Northern Wisconsin. You can find her at melkolstad.com and on Instagram at @melkolstadart.

Debra Konen (Korn/King) is an artist who creates fiber art pieces. Her main focus is on creating art quilts. (An art quilt is a quilt style that deviates from the use of traditional, historical blocks and patterns. The emphasis is on the design rather than functionality. Art quilts are also created in various styles such as Abstract, Improvisational, Collage, Landscape, or Nature Inspired as well as Pictorial or Portrait Quilts.) She uses fabrics, thread, photos, oil pastels, beads, tar, found objects, etc., when creating her art pieces. A favorite fabric source for some of her pieces is repurposed men’s ties.

She prefers to work in a series or base her work on a theme or challenge prompt. When preparing for a solo art show, she chooses a theme and creates her art quilts around that theme.

Debra currently lives in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, but was raised in Winneconne, Wisconsin. She retired in 2020 after teaching elementary art for thirty-one years. Since 1998 she has been creating art quilts.

Debra belongs to ArtSpace Collective in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and exhibits solo shows and participates in member shows there. She also participated in an online group called Art Quilts Around the World. This group of about twenty artists from various countries create art quilts in response to a challenge theme that a group member sets. The group challenge themes are selected every two months.

Kevin McGannon has earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts at the University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh. He has a Master of Fine Art from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Following these college experiences, he lived in Atlanta, Georgia, for ten years before moving back to Wisconsin, where he now lives in Neenah with his wife and daughter.

As a lifelong artist, Kevin has been through many stages of creative development. His artistic adventures began in early childhood in the south suburbs of Chicago in a town called Chicago Heights. Ms. Cada opened her house as an art sanctuary in a rather challenging part of town. Her art space was an eclectic wonderland of cigarette smoke, cultural issues, politics, and art. These were Kevin’s early experiences with art, and they have played an essential role in everything he does. Because of these experiences, he is still working in his basement, where he has set up a studio that fits his creative needs, minus the cigarette smoke.

Throughout the years, Kevin has labored as a roofer, and forklift driver, washed dishes in restaurants, and did a whole assortment of odd jobs. He has spent the last sixteen years teaching. For three of those years, Kevin taught painting and drawing at the university level, then special education and high school art in the inner city of Atlanta. Kevin is now teaching art and special education in a local Wisconsin school district.

These experiences have driven and influenced the continuous development of his visual language. Kevin works in a variety of mediums and imagery.

Gail D. Panske (Oshkosh, WI) received her MFA from Indiana University and a BFA from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. She is the recipient of an Arts Midwest/National Endowment for the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship. Her work is part of numerous private and public collections, including the Library of Congress. Recent exhibitions include solo exhibitions: at 150 Franklin Street Gallery in Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Berea College in Berea, Kentucky; and group exhibitions include Air, Water, and Earth, Muckenthaler Cultural Center, Fullerton, California; The Print Center’s 88th Annual International Competition sponsored by the Print Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Response a group exhibition of Vox Populi Print Collective at ArtHelix Gallery in Brooklyn, NY; and the 7th International Lithographic Symposium Exhibition in Tidaholm, Sweden, in which the print “Rain Voices II” was awarded 3rd place. She has also been an artist-in-residence at the Jentel Foundation in Banner Wyoming; Frans Masereel Centrum in Kasterlee, Belgium; Isle Royale National Park and Brush Creek Foundation for the Arts in Saratoga, Wyoming, and Ålgården, Konstnärernas Verkstäder och Galleri in Borås, Sweden, and the Litografiska Verstaden in Tidaholm, Sweden. Panske is a Professor of Art at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.

Dane Pecore: I am a graduate of the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh (1984) with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Since its inception in 1995, I have been a founding member of the gallery ArtSpace Collective here in Oshkosh at 7 Merritt Ave.

Having shown throughout the state of Wisconsin, some of my highlights have been: The Milwaukee Museum of Fine Art, Anderson Art Center in Racine, Lakeland College (Sheboygan), Marion College (Fond du Lac), Windhover Center for the Arts – 1 Man Show (Fond du Lac) and numerous juried shows.

In the past, I created drawings of solitary figures in ambiguous, contemplative spaces, with the use of a limited color palette. More recently, the images concentrate on color and space, more so than narrative content. Working in monotype, oils, acrylic, oil pastel, charcoal and linocuts, recent works show a sensitivity to form and color, often working in a series. These series include simple, yet colorful drawings of “Chairs” and “Across the Street” and landscape
drawings.

Jason Ryf: I use watercolor, linoleum, and clay to make most of my pieces. Hopefully some of it can be considered “art,” and hopefully you like some of it.

View Past Gallery Exhibits

June 24–Aug. 14, 2022

A Response to the Virtualization of Nature
Reception June 24, 5–7 p.m.

May 13–June 15, 2022

Spring 2022 Student Exhibit
Reception May 13, 5–7 p.m.

March 16–May 6, 2022

Narratives Near Water
Leif Larson
Reception March 18, 5–7 p.m.

Feb. 4–March 16, 2022

Shattered Fairytales
Shanna Koltz
Reception Feb. 4, 5–7 p.m.

Dec. 10, 2021–Jan. 22, 2022

Fall 2021 Student Exhibition
UWO Fox Cities art students
Reception Dec. 10, 5–7 p.m.

Sept. 30–Nov. 19, 2021

Pool Party
Art by Marianna Russell
Reception Nov. 19, 5–7 p.m.

June 11–Sept. 10, 2021

Fiber Rich – Soul Nutritious
Art by Pat Bishop
Reception Sept. 10, 5–7 p.m.

April 22–May 19, 2021

STILL
Judith Baker Waller, Joanna Dane, Teresa Weglarz
Virtual Exhibit

Jan. 15–Feb. 19, 2021

Barbara Shafer Exhibit
Virtual Reception Feb. 19, 6–7 p.m.

Jan. 23–April 3, 2020

Andrew Linskens Exhibit
Reception March 6, 5–7 p.m.

Dec. 13, 2019–Feb. 14, 2020

Fall Term Student Art Exhibition
Reception December 13, 5–7 p.m.

Sept. 16–Oct. 25, 2019

"Really Big Prints"
Reception October 18, 5–7 p.m.

June 20- Sept. 6th, 2019

Judy Onofrio and Jennifer Onofrio Fornes, "Common Ground"
Reception Friday Sept. 6th 5-7PM

May 16-June 12, 2019

UWFV Spring Term Art Student Exhibition
Reception Thursday, May 16th 5-7 PM

March 28–May 3, 2019

Adolph Rosenblatt Ceramic Sculpture and Paintings
Reception: April 12, 5–7 p.m.

February 1-March 8, 2019

Christian Andersson, "Social Amnesia"
Reception: February 1, 2019 5-7 p.m.

December 14, 2018-January 25, 2019

UWFV Art Students Show
Reception: Friday December 14, 2018, 5-7 p.m.

November 12-December 7, 2018

Fox Valley Area K-12 Art Teachers Exhibition
Reception: November 16, 5-7 p.m.

Sept. 29-Nov. 4, 2018

River Bookends:
Headwaters, Delta and the Volume of Stories in Between 
Judith Baker Waller and Jim A. Brey

June 25-Sept. 14, 2018

Stories an exhibition of paintings by Leif Larson
Reception: Sept. 7, 5-7 p.m.

May 11-Jun. 20, 2018

2018 Spring Art Student Exhibit
Reception: May 11, 5-7 pm

Mar. 19-May 6, 2018

Out of the Midden: An Anthropocene Excavation/TileWorks 2014-2018
Scott Wenzlau
Reception: April 7, 2018 5-7 p.m.

Feb. 5-Mar. 5, 2018

UW-Oshkosh Art Department Faculty Exhibition
Reception: Friday, Feb. 9 from 5 - 7 p.m.

Dec. 15, 2017-Jan. 26, 2018

Student Show
Reception: Dec. 15, 5 - 7 p.m.

Oct. 14-Dec. 10, 2017

Dawn Patel
Reception: Dec. 10, 5 - 7 p.m.

Jul. 7-Sept. 29, 2017

Vessels
Drawings, paintings, ceramics
Julie Jilek & Bruce Jenson

May 12–Jun. 7, 2017

2017 Spring Student Exhibit