Employee Training Opportunities
Mandatory Employee Trainings
What is Mandatory Training?
The completion of mandatory employee training is required of all UW System employees at hire and then with retraining requirements listed below
- Title IX / Sexual Harassment (retraining required every 3 years)
- Information Security (retraining required annually)
- Mandated Reporter (required once after 10/1/2019)
What is the Timeframe for Completing Training?
The timeframe to complete a training course is 30 days from the date of the email notification that alerts an employee to the course requirement.
Courses are online and self-paced. Your progress through the course is retained if you leave and return to the course later.
The course tiles once you have enrolled in each of them through My UW should look like this within your canvas account:
How do I know if I need to take a course?
A notification email will be sent from email@example.com to you indicating that a course is due. If the course is not completed within 14 days a reminder email will be sent, a second reminder email is sent if not completed after 21 days. If you have questions or need technical support for these mandatory trainings, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once notified, employees need to enroll in the courses through their My UW Portalusing the buttons on the mandatory training tile.
IMPORTANT: You must “re-enroll” through My UW Portal each time you re-take a course to ensure you are taking the appropriate and most current version of the courses. You CAN NOT simply retake the old course that may still be on your canvas dashboard, it WILL NOT be accepted!
The tile looks like this:
How can I tell if I completed a course?
On their current year e-performance evaluation, employees are able to see their “last notified” and “last completed” dates for each course within e-performance on the “mandatory training” tab. Last notified is the most recent date that the course was assigned to you. Last completed is the most recent date you completed that course. If you are current on your course assignments your last completed dates should fall after your last notified dates.
If an employee would prefer, they can also email email@example.com to have our office look up their record and send them their current status information. Departmental status reports can also be pulled for department chairs and/or division leaders.
Can I remove old courses from my canvas dashboard?
Canvas typically continues to display the course card on your dashboard even after you complete it, which can be confusing. If you would like, you can utilize the “favorites active courses” option in canvas to remove a completed course from your canvas dashboard. Here is a link to some instructions on how to utilize the “favorites” to keep your dashboard clear of completed courses.
University Sponsored Training Programs
Information Technology– The Division of Information Technology offers technology training, best practices, and how-to’s on the use of technology, commonly used programs, and common technology questions.
Office of Equal Opportunity, Equity & Affirmative Action – The Office of Equal Opportunity, Equity, & Affirmative Action offers training and leadership development opportunities. EOEAA also offers a variety of diversity & inclusion training. Please contact us to learn more!
LGBTQ Resource Center – The Mission of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh LGBTQ Resource Center is to create a safe, inclusive, and affirming campus climate that fosters academic success and personal growth for students, faculty, and staff of all genders and sexualities through education, advocacy, and support.
- SAFE Training – Help make the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh a safer and more welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community by participating in S.A.F.E. Training (Students, Staff and Faculty for Equality). Participants take part in a three hour interactive workshop designed to introduce you to LGBTQ+ terms, culture, some of the challenges that many LGBTQ+ people encounter in their lives, and how to be an effective ally both in and out of the classroom.
Bystander Intervention – In the Stronger and Safer Together Bystander Intervention Training Workshop, the goal is to give you the tools you need to safely and effectively intervene to make our campus safer, more welcoming, and more inclusive.
Supervisors in Action: Managing the UWO Workforce
Supervisors in Action is geared towards building the foundation for our supervisors and equipping them with the knowledge and skills to be effective in their roles. The comprehensive agenda covers the essential building blocks to supervisory excellence—including Employment Law, Risk Management, Employment Relations and Managing Performance.
Who should attend? This training is open to anyone that directly supervises employees of the University. Experience level does not matter because this training will be relevant for:
- Anyone newly hired or recently promoted to a supervisor position on campus without any past experience managing people
- Those with experience supervising on campus but may want a refresher on the unique role and expectations of supervisors
- Those with experience supervising from past jobs but need to understand how to apply their experience to working at UWO
The Winter 2023 session dates are January 9-12, 2023. Please click here to register.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Trainings
Did you know our EAP program offers training? Kepro, our EAP vendor, offers a variety of training options for individual employees and departments.
- Individual Employees – Employees can access free training by creating an account on the Kepro website. (Company code is SOWI). Training formats include live webinars, online soft skills courses and articles covering a variety of topics. Some examples of the topics covered include communication, teamwork and time management skills. These trainings are a great way to work on professional development goals and are a no-cost, on-demand solution for employees.
- Department/Unit/College Training – Our university has access to a set amount of training hours each year. Trainings are offered based on the Kepro course catalog and needs of the department or unit. Trainings are typically one hour long and offered by a contracted training professional. Supervisors that are interested in offering a training session in their area should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss next steps.
Employee Essentials is a series of one-hour sessions designed to educate employees on campus culture and compliance-related issues. While this program is facilitated by human resources, the sessions are presented by the various subject-matter-experts on our campuses. These sessions are offered during the academic year and are open to all employees. To view the Fall 2022 schedule, please click here.
Latest Employee Employee Essential Training
When can I shred and or delete this?
Clear your workspaces with confidence to learn how to dispose of old information.
Previous Employee Employee Essential Training
Understanding Your EAP Program
Want to know the ins and outs of the UWO EAP programs. Watch the video below to find out more.
Watch on Vimeo
Purchasing For UW Oshkosh
Want to know the basics of purchasing for UWO? Watch the video below to find out more.
Watch on Vimeo
FERPA Basics: What All Employees Need to Know
The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act is a Federal law that covers the privacy of student records. This session will let you know what information you can give out, what you can’t, and to whom.