Policies & Procedures
UW System Administrative Policies & Procedures
UW System Administrative Policies and Procedures (SYS) are applicable systemwide and cover academic, financial, and general administration issues. The University Personnel System Operational Policies, integrated as the SYS 1200 series, provide the framework for UW institutions, other than UW-Madison, to extend the UW Board of Regents’ authority to the university workforce. The SYS policies and procedures provide specific direction to UW System institutions and are central to the governance of the UW System. They are issued and approved by the UW System President.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Employee Handbooks are now available online. Please click here to access.
Workplace Conduct Expectations
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
Summer Flex Schedules
Under the summer flex program, employees have the opportunity for early dismissal at noon on Fridays during summer months. This program is an initiative from our strategic plan to create workplace joy. By extending valuable weekend time in summer months, we can continue to support employees with work-life balance.
It is important to remember that the University does not officially close on Fridays. All University offices are to be open and appropriately staffed Monday through Friday throughout the summer. It is important to maintain a high level of service for students and outside constituencies during our official hours of business. Arrangements for coverage should be made with each department head in consultation with the appropriate vice chancellor.
All three campuses are encouraged to adopt flexible summer schedules beginning the week following May-term and ending the week before Labor Day. Here are some additional guidelines:
- Full-time employees will have the option to work until noon on Fridays.
- Full-time employees must still work a 40-hour workweek or use leave to make up the difference.
- Employees may work past noon on Fridays to fulfill their 40-hour work week.
- Alternate flexible work schedules that meet the 40-hour workweek are acceptable with supervisory approval.
- Departments and supervisors will determine appropriate staffing levels and may require employees to work after noon on Fridays for operational need. However, supervisors should work with employees who must work Friday afternoons for alternative flexible scheduling arrangements.
- All flexible schedules and leave requests are subject to supervisor’s approval.
Hiring a Volunteer
Volunteers play an important role in many aspects of our campus. Whether it is helping with EAA or working alongside faculty conducting research, their time ensures the continued success of our students and staff. Please follow the steps below to hire a volunteer:
- Please contact the HR Office and notify us that you plan to hire a volunteer.
- Please review this checklist to ensure all aspects of planning and hosting a program that involves minors and vulnerable populations are compliant with all applicable University, UW System, and State of Wisconsin policies and procedures.
- Download and complete the two required forms below:
- Return these documents to the HR Office.
- HR will follow up with all parties (supervisor, volunteer, etc.) involved and will determine if a criminal background check is necessary.
If the volunteer needs driver authorization, contact the Parking Office at 920-424-4455, visit: https://www.uwosh.edu/riskmanagement/driver-authorization-management
Criminal Background Checks
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is committed to providing a high quality, safe and secure environment for its workforce, partners, students and visitors. This policy describes the Board of Regents’ expectations of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh in performing criminal background checks on applicants for employment, current employees, and volunteers.