Coronavirus Office Hours
The Counselors will be available Monday-Thursday 10:30 am - 2:30 pm. Fridays counselors will be available via phone call, email or virtual appointments.
Federal School Code
Federal Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program is designed for parents of dependent students to help pay for the estimated costs of education. This loan is borrowed in the parent’s name and cannot be transferred to the student. It is a non-need based loan with a fixed interest rate, and borrowers are required to have a good credit history in order to qualify for this loan.
The Federal Parent PLUS Loan does not have an aggregate borrowing limit; however, the annual borrowing limit equals to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid awarded to a student. The loan is typically disbursed twice during an academic year.
Students whose parents applied but were unable to obtain a Federal Parent PLUS Loan are eligible to receive additional unsubsidized student loans.
To qualify for the Parent PLUS Loan, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal non-citizen
- Not be in default on any type of federal loan
- Pass a credit check conducted by the loan servicing agency*
*An applicant with an adverse credit history may receive the loan if they obtain an endorser (loan co-signer) who passes the credit check. A parent with an endorser or “extenuating circumstances” will be required to do PLUS loan counseling provided by the Department of Education before the loan can be disbursed.
Parent PLUS Loan Processing
- To be considered for the for the Federal Parent PLUS Loan, students must file the FAFSA and have Federal Parent PLUS Loan listed on their financial aid award on their TitanWeb account.
- Parents must complete the Parent PLUS Request Form for the 2020-2021 academic year and submit to:
UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
The form may also be faxed to (920) 424-0284.
- The request form will be processed by the Financial Aid Office and forwarded to the U.S. Department of Education for credit check and approval. If the request is denied, the parent has the option to pursue a co-signer. Please contact the Department of Education at (800) 433-3243 for more information.
- The parent who signed the Federal Direct Parent PLUS request form is required to complete the Parent Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Loans cannot be disbursed unless the request form and MPN are completed.
Interest Rates and Repayment
The repayment period for Federal Parent PLUS loans starts 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. Parents may choose to defer payments on a Federal Parent PLUS Loan until six months after the the students graduates or ceases to be enrolled halftime.* Parents also have the option to pay accruing interest monthly or quarterly, or allow the interest to be capitalized quarterly.
- Loans after July 1, 2020: 5.30%
- Loans after July 1, 2019: 7.08%
- Loans after July 1, 2018: 7.60%
- Loans after July 1, 2017: 7%
- Oct. 1, 2020-Sept. 30, 2021: 4.228%
- Oct. 1, 2019–Sept. 30, 2020: 4.236%
- Oct. 1, 2018–Sept. 30, 2019: 4.248%
- Oct. 1, 2017–Sept. 30, 2018: 4.264%
*Only applicable to loans disbursed after July 1, 2008.
- If you are applying for a Parent PLUS Loan for more than one dependent, you must complete a separate application and MPN for each student.
- If the same parent applies for future Parent PLUS Loans for the same student, it is not necessary to complete a new MPN. Multiple Parent PLUS Loans can be borrowed on a single MPN for up to 10 years.
- Loan funds are electronically disbursed to the student’s account to pay for education related expenses (tuition, fees, room, meal plan, etc). By signing the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form, you give UW Oshkosh permission to issue a refund directly to the student if the loan disbursement exceeds the University’s charges. Parents must contact the Financial Aid Office directly if they wish to have the refund issued in their name.
Hours and Location
Dempsey Hall, Room 104
Walk-In Hours: 10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
Office Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Friday: Available via phone call, email or virtual appointment with your financial aid counselor.
Financial Aid Office
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901