The Nurse Educator certificate provides individuals MSN-prepared nurses with foundational knowledge and expertise to assume roles as nurse educators in healthcare and academic settings. This 11-credit certificate program combines 100%-online coursework with hands-on practicum to develop the leadership and professional skills necessary to effectively educate future and fellow nurses.
Graduates of the Nurse Educator Certificate are able to sit for the Certified Nurse Educator examination at the completion of the program. This certification, while not required to be a nurse educator, establishes nursing education as a specialty area of practice and creates a means for faculty to demonstrate their expertise in this role.
- Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university
- Graduate GPA of 3.0 higher
- Current licensure as a registered nurse
- Two references from professional colleagues or supervisors
B) Reference Letter Form
Applicants must complete the top portion of the reference form and forward to the two references listed on their UW System application. Reference forms are to be sent directly from the references to the College of Nursing Graduate Program Office.
C) Submit official graduate transcripts to the UW Oshkosh Office of Graduate Studies. Transcripts must be sent directly from a university; transcripts submitted by the applicant are not considered official.
Office of Graduate Studies
Dempsey Hall 345
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
D) Submit copy of current RN license to the College of Nursing Graduate Office via email at email@example.com.
The Nurse Educator certificate program begins in spring and takes three semesters to complete.
Semester 1 | Spring
- Nursing 736 – The Education Process in Nursing, 3 credits
Semester 2 | Fall
- Nursing 737 – Nurse Educator Practice Advancement, 1 credit (minimum 56 hours)
- Nursing 748 – Assessment and Evaluation Strategies in Nursing Education, 3 credits
Semester 3 | Spring
- Nursing 738 – Advanced Educator Practicum, 4 credits (minimum 224 hours)