Psych Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s online post-graduate certificate is designed for current, certified Family Nurse Practitioners who want to expand their practice with a specialty role preparation in as little as nine months. The Psych Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certificate program provides current, certified Family Nurse Practitioners (FNP) with foundational knowledge and expertise to assume expanded roles as dual certified FNP and PMHNP advanced practice nurses. This 19-credit certificate program combines 100%-online coursework with hands-on practicum to develop the clinical acumen and skills necessary to effectively provide mental health care services across the life span of patients.
Students are eligible to take the PMHNP certification examination upon program completion. This certification establishes PMHNP as a specialty area of practice, demonstrating competence and opportunity for expanding the family nurse practitioner’s role.
- Graduate degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university
- Graduate GPA 3.0 or higher
Current unencumbered Wisconsin licenses as a registered nurse and advanced practice registered nurse/advanced practice nurse prescriber. Individuals licensed in other states should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information about the licensure requirement.
- Current certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner through AANP or ANCC
- Three references from professional colleagues, including one supervisor.
Once completed, the application is sent electronically to UW Oshkosh Office of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Studies office will review and forward the online application to the College of Nursing.
B) Request final transcripts from your nursing graduate degree granting institution to be sent to UW Oshkosh Graduate Studies (email@example.com).
We need an official, degree conferral transcript for your graduate degree:
- Official means the transcript is sent directly from the institution to UW Oshkosh Graduate Studies. Electronic transcripts are processed most quickly.
- Degree-conferral means the transcript shows the name of the degree earned and the date it was awarded.
- You may send transcripts from all institutions.
- If you attended UW Oshkosh, you do not need to send UWO transcripts
- If you previously applied to UW Oshkosh, we will use transcripts on file
- If you have more than one graduate degree, send transcripts for the degree most relevant to this certificate
The College of Nursing admits students to the Post-Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate every fall. Application materials must be received by the College of Nursing Graduate Program Office and official transcripts must be received by the UW Oshkosh Graduate Studies Office no later than March 31st to be eligible for the following fall.
C) Email your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
D) Submit current copies of your RN license, Advanced Practice Registered/Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber license and FNP certification to the College of Nursing Graduate Office PMHNP program via email at email@example.com.
F) PMHNP Reference Form
Applicants must complete the top portion of the reference form and forward to the three references. Reference forms are to be sent directly from the references to the College of Nursing Graduate Program Office.
This 19-credit certificate program may be completed in 9 months full time or up to 21 months part-time. An individualized plan of study will be created by the PMHNP program director upon review of the applicant’s submitted materials and current advanced practice experience.