Nurse Scholars Program
The Nurse Scholars Program is designed to directly admit academically gifted students into the College of Nursing as freshman. Qualified students are able to enroll in the nursing major as first-year students. The Nurse Scholar application can be provided upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org after a student is admitted to UW Oshkosh.
Demonstration of academic excellence evidenced by:
- A composite ACT score of 28 or higher.
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one must be provided by a high school science teacher—the other can be provided by another teacher, guidance counselor, support staff or coach.
- An official high school transcript.
- A personal statement explaining desire to pursue nursing, including service experience and experience working with diverse populations.
- Completion of a criminal background check as directed by the Undergraduate Nursing Office.
- Participating in an interview with a representative from the Undergraduate Nursing Program. Interview questions help to determine a student’s attitude, engagement and autonomy, and factors that might make a student more or less likely to succeed in the College of Nursing.
Program requirements must be submitted to the Undergraduate Nursing Office by deadline. The College of Nursing reserves the right to limit enrollment numbers in the Nurse Scholars Program.
Program Continuation Requirements
Continued participation in the Nurse Scholars Program as a UW Oshkosh student is contingent upon the following requirements:
- Maintain a credit load of at least 15 credits per semester or earn at least 30 credits by the end of your second semester.
- Achieve an overall GPA of at least 3.3 as a first-year student, and a 3.5 GPA in nursing prerequisite courses.
- Do not engage in any criminal activity that would impair a clean background check. Students must comply with College of Nursing Code of Conduct.
- Successfully complete a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) course.
- Complete TEAS exam with passing score at or above the current College of Nursing average.
- Submit evidence of continued healthcare experience, community service and/or experience with diverse populations.
- Treat others with respect, remain engaged in academics and maintain a positive attitude.
Failure to fulfill continuation requirements will result in removal from Nurse Scholar Program, and guaranteed admission into the College of Nursing will be revoked. Students must then reapply to the College of Nursing following traditional admission procedures.