Salaries & Negotiations
Effective negotiation is a two-way process that involves active participation, empathy and compromise. Engaging in the negotiation process can promote relationship building as people increase communication and understanding. In an effective negotiation, everyone wins. The key to effective negotiation is clear communication. Communication involves three important skills: understanding, listening and speaking. Together, these three skills empower an individual to clearly identify and discuss a point of view or source of disagreement and negotiate an outcome acceptable to both parties.
In addition, remember to show respect, identify and define the issue, seek a variety of solutions, collaborate, be reliable, and preserve the relationship.
Benchmark UWO Salary Data
- Use UWOs First Destination Survey to research hiring outcomes and salary data for specific majors and colleges.
National Salary Resources:
- NACE Salary Survey – Final Starting Salary Outcomes for the Class of 2018
- LinkedIn Salary Resources -Detailed breakdown of salaries by job title and location
Use links to access current and accurate salary data.
- The Wage Project –Working to eliminate the gender wage gap for every woman in America
- PayScale – A market leader in global online compensation data. With the world’s largest database of individual employee compensation profiles, PayScale provides an immediate and precise snapshot of the job market.
- Salary.com – offers helpful resources for people at every money moment of their career.
- Work Abroad Salary Calculator – This calculator allows you to see how much you could earn across the 38 OECD countries.
Cost of Living Calculators
Use links to access cost of living factors and considerations in select locations.
- NerdWallet-Cost of Living Tool is a resource for new grads and college students to compare costs between two cities based on lifestyle and data-driven information.
- MoneyGeek.com -offers several money management calculators including this Cost of Living Calculator.
Check Handshake for current event offerings
- Work Smart and Start Smart Salary Negotiation The American Association of University Women is a non-profit, non-partisan organization that works to champion equity for women and girls. AAUW’s salary negotiation workshops are designed to help
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN OSHKOSH
Career & Professional Development
Student Success Center, Suite 125
750 Elmwood Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
- M–Th: 7:45 a.m.–5 p.m.
- F: 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Fond du Lac and Fox Cities Campus Solution Centers
- Wednesdays: 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Services only offered when classes are in session