Building Your Resume
Get yours to the top of the stack!
One of the most important elements of your job search is your resume. Employers spend, on average, less than 30 seconds screening a resume. So, it is essential for your resume to project a clear and concise picture of your skills, professional qualities, goals and achievements.
There is no “right” or “wrong” way to put together a resume, but if you follow some of the suggestions outlined you will find your document can help you attract the eye of recruiters fast!
Resume Appointments at Career & Professional Development
- Self-schedule an appointment on Handshake – once logged in click on Career Center – Appointments
- Give us a call to make an appointment with your advisor. 920-424-2044
- Bring a draft or working document. Check out some sample resumes!
- If you have a draft, consider uploading to VMock before your appointment. Let your advisor know you’ve uploaded to VMock and they can help you implement suggested changes.
- A resume needs to be readable. Make it clear with an easy to read font.
- Envelopes matter. Don’t send your resume in your current employer’s envelope or use metered postage from your current employer. This just tells the next company that you will use their resources for your personal mail.
- Keep your resume free from poor grammar and typing mistakes. When you make a mistake on your resume, it shows a lack of attention to detail.
- Don’t make it difficult for the employer to contact you. If you list only a home telephone number – and you are never home during business hours – they can’t schedule an interview.
- Customize your “objective” for each employer and position. Read the job posting carefully and make your objective match what they are looking for in an employee.
- For each past employer, highlight your key achievements, not a list of your job duties.
- Completely list your education dates along with any degrees you completed.
- Don’t forget to include any awards or recognition you have received.
*Resume advice is based on nationwide best practices and on employer feedback.
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN OSHKOSH
Career & Professional Development
Student Success Center, Suite 125
750 Elmwood Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
- M–Th: 7:45 a.m.–5 p.m.
- F: 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Fond du Lac and Fox Cities Campus Advisor Hours
- Fox Cities Hours: Mondays 8:30-2:30 in the Intersection
- Fond Du Lac Hours: Thursdays 8:30-4:00 in the Intersection
- Services only offered when classes are in session during the fall and spring terms.