Career & Professional Development supports the professional development of all students by providing services, events, and advising to help you reach your career goals.
Career Advising & Appointments
Career & Professional Development offers individual appointments with Career Advisors focused on industry advising. To learn more about industry advising click here. To schedule an appointment with an advisor you have two options:
- You may self-schedule an appointment on Handshake by logging in using your UW Oshkosh netid, clicking on Career Center, then click the blue button “Schedule an Appointment.” You’ll be taken through a few steps to determine the best fit for your career questions and show you the appointment availability of the career advisors assigned to that area.
- You may call Career & Professional Development at 920-424-2181 to talk with a Career Resource Specialist who can assist you in scheduling an appointment with an advisor.
Fall 2020 – the majority of appointments will be held virtually either by phone or Microsoft Teams video chat. If you have a specific need for an in-person appointment reach out to us for accommodations!
We offer student resources on:
Get Hired! Guide
For a more comprehensive look at many of these topics consider purchasing the Get Hired! Guide, an electronic book accessed by visiting Great River Learning. You can purchase an access code the University Books & More or by visiting the online link. Guides can be purchased for $30. When choosing a section, you should choose the General User section.
Essential Career Readiness Skills
As a UW Oshkosh student you have numerous opportunities to develop the necessary career-ready skills which will allow you to effectively market your academic & professional development experiences.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers, through a task force of college career services and HR/staffing professionals, has developed a definition, based on extensive research among employers, and identified seven competencies associated with career readiness.
Definition of Career Readiness and Competencies
Career readiness is the attainment and demonstration of requisite competencies that broadly prepare college graduates for a successful transition into the workplace.
These competencies are:
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Oral/Written Communication
- Information Technology Application
- Professionalism/Work Ethic
- Career Management
- Global/Intercultural Fluency